A single sip from this soup and I was able to conclude that I’ve been cooking and eating Sinabawang Tahong the wrong way all my life. Had I known this recipe before, my taste buds would have feasted all those times this meal was served in our plates!
I’d like to believe that it was the can of Sprite that did it. The sweet citrusy soda complemented the unique spice of the ginger broth, as well as the fresh seafood taste of the mussels. It took me 15 sweet minutes of waiting for John to finish cooking and a bucket of excitement because surely, it’s not everyday that one gets to eat a dish with Sprite.
So here’s the recipe I’ve been drooling about. Let’s get cooking and happy eating!
Sinabawang Tahong with Sprite
- 1/2 kg Tahong
- 130 ml Can of Sprite
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Medium Bulb Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, peeler and julienned
- 1 Bundle Dahon ng Sili, washed
- Salt and Pepper
- Cooking Oil
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté ginger, garlic and onion.
- Add the washed tahong and stir for 5 mins.
- Add the can of Sprite and 1 cup of water. Bring to boil.
- Add the washed dahon ng sili and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Tahong – Blue Mussels
Dahon ng Sili – Chilli leaves