As I sit in front of my computer to write about this, I pondered about the number of times that I was able to eat Salmon in my life. I must admit that it’s not a lot. Salmon isn’t too common here in the Philippines. It’s not something that you can buy from the first row of the fish section in the wet market, along with the tilapia and bangus. So I only came up with Grilled Salmon from a restaurant and Sinigang sa Miso, which we also featured here.
That’s why I was all intrigued when John told me that he was making Salmon Cakes that night. I googled Salmon Cakes immediately and swallowed a lump of excitement for the night’s dish. It looks so good and appetizing that I was literally counting down the hours! I was excited to eat and I was also excited to take pictures of this new dish that I am about to meet. And a little cliché – I had a nice time in doing those two!
Since it’s both our first time to eat this, we do not have any baseline on how this would tastes like, or what ingredients it should include except for the obvious Salmon. So we decided to use this to our advantage and throw in the ingredients that we feel are undiscovered pairs. That would greatly explain the calamansi and the crab paste that we added to the list of ingredients.
The resulting dish has a salty, fishy, fresh flavor with a slightly spicy aftertaste, which I completely adore. Nice and tender! We also topped each cake with mayonnaise to complete our Salmon Cake experience. We ate this with rice but you can also pair this with salad, other grains or you can just eat this alone for a quick snack.
Now, we’re thinking of tuna cakes, cod cakes, and possibly all the fish that we can think of. Really, the possibilities are endless! Try this out and have this seemingly complicated yet delicious dish in your table in around 30 mins. Let us know what you think! 🙂
- 250 g Salmon Meat, boiled, drained and shredded (or canned Salmon Meat, drained and shredded)
- 5 pcs Spring Onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 pc Calamansi, juiced
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Crab Paste
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 pc Egg, beaten
- a dash of Pepper
- a dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Cooking Oil
- Combine the shredded salmon meat, spring onions, bread crumbs, calamansi extract, cornstarch, crab paste, hot sauce, garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, egg, pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Mix until the ingredients are well-blended.
- Form mixture into patties.
- In a pan over medium heat, fry the patties. Brown the salmon in both sides for 4-5 minutes.
- Place cooked patties in a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve the salmon cakes warm. Enjoy!
Bangus – Milkfish
Calamansi – Calamondin