We all have that comfort food that we associate with childhood. It has always been Champorado for me. I can remember rainy mornings when I was a child, classes suspended and I am just cozying up in the breakfast table in my pajamas, Champorado and milk in front of me, with slow jazz music playing in my father’s radio. My sister and I would overload our bowls with more milk, enjoying every little beautiful things. Now that I’m all grown-up (coughs), I still eat my every Champorado with those childhood memories. Even if I’m only eating this for a couple of minutes before a busy day at work, I still manage to enjoy a breakfast filled with so much tranquility and lightheartedness.
Now, John, being his usual self (the most amazing cook I’ve ever met), managed to make this meal even more special! What’s better than a Champorado? Well, a Champorado with Gata definitely! The fusion of chocolate and coconut milk is plain divine. I dare say too that the coconut milk made the chocolate flavor richer and the resulting dish extra creamier. We’ve also eaten this with salted dried fish and that, my friends, is when I lost all my cool. Those dried fish further complimented the champorado’s delicious taste.
We had such an amazing start of the week because of this meal. I hope you all had an incredible Monday too! 🙂
Champorado with Gata
- 1/2 cup Regular Rice
- 1/2 cup Glutinous Rice
- 1.75 L Water
- 4 pcs Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Condensed Milk to drizzle
- Pre-soak the rice in water for about 15 to 30 mins then drain the water.
- In a pot over medium heat, boil the rice in 1.75L water for about 20 mins or until the rice is soft and cooked.
- Add the cocoa, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes or until the cocoa is completely dissolved. Add the coconut milk.
- Simmer for 5-10 more minutes.
- Drizzle with condensed milk and serve warm. Enjoy!
Champorado – Chocolate Rice Porridge
Gata – Coconut Milk