The picture – it was a Saturday evening and I was scheduled to go to work because of an overtime request. I was happy about it at first, especially that our workplace is just a 5-minute walk from our home but after arriving at work, I was the lone employee in a deserted office and I just felt kind of bad that I had to work on a rest day when I could have been snuggled in bed at home with a book in one hand and a cup of coffee on the other. So while I was counting down the hours until I can finally have my belated weekend, John was busy making these cupcakes. And God, how coming home to these beauties perked me up!
We have just bought our first oven and I honestly didn’t expect that John’s first baked cupcakes would look this lovely and would taste even more awesome. Not that I was expecting a disaster but I didn’t expect perfect cupcakes either! The cupcakes were so soft and chocolatey and the cream cheese frosting is just perfect. It’s just the right amount of creamy, sweet and sour. John made three lovely batches and these put my soul to peace for a couple of days. It’s so wonderful to wake up knowing there will be a strong coffee to warm you up, sweet cupcakes to get you through the day and an even sweeter boyfriend to share your day with. 🙂
Now, let’s talk about how John made these sweet things, shall we?
Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Toppings
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. Butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven at 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time in the mixture.
- Add the vanilla.
- Alternately add the sour cream and the combined dry ingredients from Step (2) in two or three batches.
- Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Scoop the combined mixture up until 3/4 of the cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.
- To prepare the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pipe or spread the frosting into cooled cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy! Sharing is optional! 🙂
I am looking forward to our next baked goodie! Now that we have finally purchased an oven, do you have any request or recipes that you’d like us to try? Let us know! 🙂