Do you ever have lazy days when you can’t even muster the strength to get up, let alone prepare and cook a meal? We have our share of those too! But instead of ordering a pizza or visiting the nearby burger house, we are trying our best to keep quick food in our kitchen that are not only easy to prepare but food that are still nutritious and healthy. Embutido is one of those food and possibly our favorite.
Embutido is basically the Filipino version of meatloaf. I love that you can take about an hour or two every weekend to prepare for something that will eventually save your life (or your stomach!). It’s a real life-saver considering that you can prolong its shelf life up to a month just by freezing it. This dish is almost always present during special occasions but through the recipe below, you make any day special with this. Try it with catsup on the side and let us know how it goes! 🙂
- 1/2 kg Ground Pork or Beef
- 1 medium-sized Bell Pepper, deseeded and minced
- 1 medium-sized Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 medium-sized Onions, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Sauce
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 can Sausage, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp Pickle Relish
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/8 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Beef Broth Cubes, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water (optional)
- Mix the meat, bell pepper, carrots and onions in a bowl. Add in all other ingredients except raisins. Mix until the consistency is even. Add in raisins.
- Wrap meat in aluminum foil horizontally to resemble a sausage. Poke a tiny hole in each sausage using a toothpick. This will allow it to “breathe”.
- Steam for one hour.
- Serve hot. You can also freeze this up to a month. Fry or reheat in a microwave before serving.