While browsing through the internet, we chanced upon the Jerk Chicken recipe of Epicurious and felt so intrigued about all the spices combining into one delicious dish Upon inspecting the ingredients, some of the ones listed aren’t available in the Philippines or a bit difficult to find so we made a couple of adjustments on the recipe. I am particularly curious about Cinnamon because I’ve always tasted and loved it on bread and other pastry products. Sprinkling some on chicken sounds a bit different for me but for the ultimate taste buds pursuit, I am more than willing to try it! John was also excited to try out the different spices since we also made a trip to the grocery store just for this recipe.
Now for the judging part – the chicken tastes really excellent, nothing similar to the dishes I’ve enjoyed before! The fusion of the spices is perfect. The cinnamon is not too overpowering, just right for that aftertaste. And the thyme is a real contender for the spiciness. I can picture us enjoying this again especially that the spices are now present in our kitchen. Also, this dish is the kind that you can just marinade for a while and deal with later. Convenient, eh?
- 5 lbs Chicken (depends on your chicken part preference)
- 3 Sring Onions, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled, crushed and chopped
- 1 Small Onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 to 5 fresh Habanero Chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon packed Brown Sugar
- tablespoon Thyme Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Ground All Spice
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- To make the marinade, blend all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Marinade chicken for 1 1/2 hrs or more if you have the time.
- Preheat burners on high, then adjust heat to moderate. Cook chicken until well browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat to low and cook chicken, covered with lid, until cooked through, about 25 minutes more.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Let us know your thoughts about this! We’re always happy to hear them! 🙂