This week was so busy and kind of stressful that I need a cupcake (or twelve!). Nothing major’s happening actually, just days which are filled with tasks while I’m stuck with separation anxiety from our Bicol vacation. I am so ready for the weekend. But since it’s too slow and probably procrastinating, I will devour these vanilla cupcakes for the meantime (not that I’m complaining!).
The moment that I’ve laid eyes on these freshly baked pretties, I was smitten. They look so round and perfect, fluffy and soft. I wanted to eat them right away, never caring that they needed to cool first and that they weren’t frosted yet. And that I actually did! They were as I imagined them to be – creamy, flavorful and soft.
And then they were frosted.
This is actually the first time that I’ve tasted a meringue frosting and I love how it melted so lovingly in my mouth. It felt like eating s’mores! It felt so different with eating the frosting of our first cupcake ever but I loved it all the same. I would love to try other meringue flavors as well the next time! Do you have any suggestions for us? 🙂
Vanilla Cupcakes with Meringue Frosting
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoonsunsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated; scrape down sides of bowl, and beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- To make the meringue: In a very clean work bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the salt. Gradually add the sugar, increasing the whipping speed and continuing to whip until the mixture is light and billowy, and stiff peaks form.
- Mound or pipe meringue onto each cooled cupcake, then toast the meringue with a cook’s torch; or carefully broil until golden brown. Serve warm, for a flowing lemon lava; or cool for a more set filling.
- Enjoy! It’s difficult not to 🙂