Warning! This post is NOT for the faint of heart!
Halloween is now upon us, people! Where did you get to spend it? We spent it at home, after paying a visit to our dearly departed. Then we tried to match the Halloween vibe by cooking something timely! Sorry, it isn’t some cute and sweet cookies or cupcakes this time. It’s ox brain! I warned you!
We won’t be eating it raw though, as you might be fearing. Scrambled brain is pretty much what it sounds like – ox brain on sauted scrambled eggs sprinkled with salt and pepper to taste. Nothing fancy here and no plot twist. Some cringe at the thought of eating something like this. They might even consider this exotic but the first time that I’ve eaten ox brains, I just knew that I am a brain-lover person, all double meanings considered. It is soft, to the point of fragility, and it’s actually tasty! This is the first time that I’ve eaten it with eggs and the unique taste of brains was a great match for the eggs. It was nothing close to gross. It actually tastes like a regular ox meat but tastier and softer.
Now after all the warnings I’ve given and you’re still here, it’s about time that you’re handed the recipe, isn’t it? Here it goes!
- 1/4 kg Ox Brain
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium-sized Onion, peeled and chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Using a fork, crush the brain in a bowl.
- Transfer the beaten eggs to the bowl and mix thoroughly until the brain chunks are all coated with eggs.
- In a pan over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion.
- Place the eggs and brain mixture and stir until cooked.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve warm and enjoy! Happy Halloween! 🙂