Do you remember the time when we were supposed to cook Lumpiang Shanghai for a gathering at work only to find out the dish tastes a bit sour because of the lumpia wrapper? Well, I think it was around the second quarter of this year and because of the disaster, we had a series of meatballs recipe like our favorite – Eggs in Purgatory and Sweet and Sour Meatballs too! Because of the meatballs overload, it took us quite some time to includ Lumpiang Shanghai in our meal plan but here we are finally doing it.
Since the holidays and the upcoming change of year is fast-approaching, I personally recommend Lumpiang Shanghai as one of the dishes that you can serve for these occasions. It would take you quite some time to prepare but you can just store it and fry it when your visitors arrive so it’s still warm and crunchy. In this way, there will be less leftovers too!
That is what we did with our Lumpia dish. We prepared it one morning and store it in the fridge and left it there, ready for frying when we need something quick but yummy. We also got our sweet chili dip ready in our pantry! We are definitely adding this to our food for New Year. This sounds perfect with spaghetti, right? What do you guys think? 🙂
- 1/4 kg Ground beef (you can also use pork)
- 1 medium sized Carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium sized Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 TSP fine Salt
- 1 TSP Pepper
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 24 pcs Spring roll wrappers
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Place ground meat, carrots, onion and bell pepperin a bowl. Mix with hands. Gradually add in soy sauce, salt, pepper and constrach. Mix well.
- Place about 1 1/2 Tbsp of the mixture in a pc of the spring roll wrapper. Evenly distribute so that it is not thicker than your thumb. Fold the sides of the wrapper towards the center. Roll and seal the edge with water. Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan. Fry for about 4-5 mins or until it is golden brown, turning once. Drain in paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm (it’s best that way!)with Sweet Chili sauce dip.